There is beautiful history behind the AAA Four Diamond award winning Colony Club, Barbados. Preserving its colonial charm, Colony Club has been the home of a residential club along with a backdrop of a motion picture.
Located on the platinum coast of Barbados, Colony Club is one of nine hotels within the Elegant Hotels collection, It is ideally positioned between Holetown & Speightstown. The hotel was originally built by a South African, Mrs. Spencer Phillips, as a private home in 1930. The property, knows as "The Clouds" was built on a six-acre plot of land purchased from Trents Plantation. In 1941, J.R. Edwards, a Barbadian Magistrate, who was one of the island's leading racehorse owners and breeders, bought "The Clouds" from Mrs. Spencer and the land on which it stood for 3,000.00. Mr. Edwards lived a "The Clouds" and kept a paddock with ten brood mares on the property. Ann Embericos became associated with "Bunny" Edwards, owner of "The Clouds" and on her suggestion, the six-acre plot and coral stone house was renamed "Colony" after her favourite restaurant in New York. Full credit for Colony's existence belongs to Mrs. Ann Embericos, the pioneer of this west coast luxury development. She was a race horse enthusiast and retired in Barbados in 1941. She initiated the development of what is today, Colony Cub, one of the islands' better known resorts.
The dominant burgundy and white decor throughout the present hotel was also her innovation as the combination represented her racing colours. Standing outside the hotel entrance welcoming guests and still honourbly wearing these colours, is the jockey which was brought from New York to Barbados in 1941 by Mrs. Embericos. Her enthusiasm for the Colony Club venture, fortunately, was matched by her exquisite taste in decoration. She set a pattern which gave Colony Club a reputation for being the place to stay in Barbados.
In the 1940's, the island had no residential clubs on the west coast and Colony Club was open as one of the first residential clubs by Mrs. Embericos, During the 1950's with an upsurge of visitors, at the end of the II World War, the property was bought by Jock Mitchell, a war veteran, who lived in the house for five years before extending it to a six-bedroom property. Two years later, he formally open the doors of the new Colony Club for business as an accommodation for visitors. By 1960, it was known as it is today, the Colony Club Hotel.
When Air Canada, then Trans Canada Airline, gave its inaugural party in Barbados, Colony Club was the hotel hand selected to host this occasion which can truthfully be claimed as the starting point of Barbados' post was tourism boom. In 1974, the hotel became the backdrop to many scenic movie clips such as the Julie Andrews & Omar Sharif film "The Tamarind Seed". Many additions and improvements have been made since the 60's evolving to the current 96 rooms and suites property. The most significant was in 1994 when it was transformed into a more contemporary hotel while maintaining its colonial feel. Thru today, the hotel has become a pinnacle destination for the discerning traveller capturing a variety of awards and accolades including Travel + Leisure's list of best resort hotels in the Caribbean, Bermuda and Bahamas in addition to Trip Advisor's Certificate of Excellence and Hall of Fame awards.